Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pasta Cordon Bleu


First of all, I am sorry I have been MIA! I can't believe it's been a week since I've updated. Life has been busy so I have been sticking with easy, quick meals (that aren't that exciting!). Since this week isn't looking any less busy, I decided to take my free afternoon to make a yummy pasta dish so I have left overs for a few days. Zach is going away for the long weekend so this will hold me over.

I ran into this recipe awhile back and have been waiting for an opportunity to make it. I made quite a few changes, all incorporated in the recipe below. I eliminated a lot of the butter and used all reduced fat or fat free ingredients. The taste or richness didn't suffer a bit. It was really good!

Pasta Cordon Bleu
Recipe Inspired by Dunne at With a Cherry on Top by way of
Amy's New Kitchen
Serves 6

1 lb. pasta (I used cellentani)
2 tbs olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 cup pancetta, cubed
1 1/2 cups skim milk
8 oz. fat free cream cheese (softened)
2 tbs dried minced onion
2 cups reduced fat swiss cheese, shredded
Salt
Pepper
1 cup panko crumbs
1 tbs butter

Directions:

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over med-high heat. Salt it and add the pasta; cook until al dente (about 11 minutes). Drain and return to the pot.

Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a pan. Add chopped shallot and cook until softened. Add chicken, season with red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and paprika. Saute until chicken is mostly cooked through (3-4 mins). Add pancetta and cook for a few more minutes. Add chicken mixture to cooked pasta.

Preheat oven to 400. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, cream cheese and minced onion over low-medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until it becomes a smooth texture (about 5 minutes). Stir in the Swiss cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over chicken and pasta.

Transfer pasta to a baking dish (sprayed with cooking spray) and top with Panko crumbs. Dot butter over crumbs and bake for 25 minutes. Open the oven door and bring temp up to broil. Broil for 2-3 minutes until top is browned.




0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...