Sunday, October 10, 2010

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

Pumpkin is one of my all time favorite flavors. I was anxious to use the canned pumpkin I bought earlier this week so I looked up a bunch of recipes to find a pumpkin pancake for this morning. This one looked good and it didn't disappoint. I liked that it used mostly whole wheat flour. They were dense but not too heavy and very tasty. I cut the recipe in half because they were just for Cecily and me, and it worked out fine.

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
Recipe slightly adapted from Pinch My Salt

Ingredients:

1 C. whole wheat flour
1/2 C. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1 C. buttermilk
1 C. canned pumpkin puree
2 eggs
2 T. oil
1 t. vanilla
2 T. dark brown sugar

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients (whole wheat flour through pumpkin pie spice). In a separate bowl, whisk together the last six ingredients (buttermilk through brown sugar).

2. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and blend together with a wooden spoon until just combined. Lumps are ok, just make sure all the flour on the bottom of the bowl is mixed in. If batter seems too thick to pour, you can gently stir in a little more buttermilk.

3. Drop pancakes by ladleful onto a medium-hot griddle. Pancakes are ready to turn when the edges start to look a little dry and you can see small bubbles forming on the surface.

1 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Kelly -- thanks for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to try it.

I also quit smoking (almost 5 years ago), no mean feat! Congrats on your first post-Finn run!

http://creatingafamilyhome.blogspot

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...