Monday, November 2, 2009

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup and Grilled Cheese


Ulimate comfort food!! Tonight I made tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I adapted a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. Here is the Original Recipe

Tomato Basil Soup


Ingrediants:

2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
18 fresh basil leaves, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup whipping cream (I used fat free evaporated milk)
1/2 cup butter or margarine (I used 1/4 cup of butter)

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil and sugar. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream and butter. Cook until butter is melted.

The soup came out creamy and delicious even with the changes that I made to make it a bit more figure friendly.

I used my panini maker to make the grilled cheese with whole grain white bread, mild reduced fat cheddar and sliced tomato (and a little mayo on Zach's sandwich).

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...