Thursday, January 27, 2011

Escarole and White Bean Stew

My in laws gave me the "Crockpot Slow Cooker Bible" for Christmas and I have so many pages marked, its about time I get on it! Thursdays are our usual crockpot night because I teach at the gym, so I decided to give this one a try.

One of my goals in the new year is to also try more vegetarian meals. Not that I plan on giving up meat, but because they are generally very healthy and cost effective dinners. Plus, I have many family members that are vegetarian and I would like to be able to make them something other than meatless baked ziti when they visit!

I have to admit that I wasn't that excited about this meal. I am typically not a fan of beans, even though I am trying to be more open minded about them. But, it ended up being pretty good. There was something missing flavor-wise (I could have added more salt), but overall it was a nice hearty soup. And the beans were actually my favorite part!

Escarole and White Bean Stew
Recipe slightly adapted from The Crockpot Slow Cooker Bible
4 servings, 7 WW points plus per serving

Ingredients:

1 tbs Olive Oil
1 large onion, chopped
6 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
2 tbs minced garlic
12 oz washed and chopped escarole
2 cans Great Northern White Beans, drained
4 cups vegetable broth
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Grated parmesan

Directions:

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and carrots. Cook until onion softens. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to crockpot and top with vegetable broth.

Add escarole, red pepper flakes and beans. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Season with salt and serve with Parmesan cheese

And I can't resist sharing my baby boy's 6 month picture! Happy half birthday Finny!

ZACH'S RATING - *** 1/2

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...