Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hearty Apple Oatmeal Bread

I have to admit I was worried about this one, since I made so many changes to the original recipe, but it turned out great! I often say that I have no business baking (not my strong suit!), but since my daughter was begging to "make a recipe" this morning, I decided making a healthy apple bread would be a fun project.

I used this recipe as a jumping off point. I was going to make muffins, but the batter was very dense and seemed to lend itself better to bread. I think the addition of the plain yogurt was key, the end result was very moist, yet hearty bread. My only regret is that I didn't have whole wheat flour on hand.

Hearty Apple Oatmeal Bread

Ingredients:

1 egg
3/4 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
2 medium golden delicious apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 cup flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, beat together egg, milk, oil, and sugar. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Fold egg mixture into dry mixture, just to moisten. Stir in yogurt.

Pour into a loaf pan and bake for one hour

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...