Thursday, October 15, 2009

French Onion Soup


I have been on a big soup kick the past couple of weeks. First it was sausage tortellini, then pumpkin (my fav so far), then chicken soup, and last night I felt brave enough to try my hand at French Onion. I used the following recipe from allrecipes.com, with a few changes.

French Onion Soup

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups water
2 bay leaves
6 slices French bread
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter with olive oil. Cook onions in mixture, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, until very soft, translucent and brown on the edges. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to combine. Pour in beef broth, wine and water with bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes. Preheat oven broiler. Toast the bread slices. Ladle the soup into 6 ovenproof bowls and place the bowls on a baking sheet. Place a toasted slice of bread over each bowl and top with Swiss cheese. Place bowls under broiler until cheese is melted.

I used thick sliced reduced fat swiss instead of shredded and used 1 cup of wine/1cup of water instead. I also added about a tbs of fresh chopped thyme, which I thought was a key addition.

The soup was tasty but a bit sweet. I think next time I make this I will use a dry chardonnay instead of sauvignon blanc or maybe even red wine. Overall, I was pleased with how it turned out and will definitely make it again! My husband prefers provolone cheese, so I will probably change that as well.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...