Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Apple and Almond Steel Cut Oatmeal

One of my favorite things to have for breakfast is oatmeal. Up until now, I have always used instant oatmeal, but am interested in branching out to healthier ways to prepare this healthy breakfast.

The other day I decided to try to make overnight oatmeal using my crockpot. It was a complete fail. It burned on the sides and was overcooked and unappetising. Since I had already purchased steel cut oats, I wanted to learn how to make them the regular way. Can't be that hard, right? I watched this video on you tube and gave it a shot.

I boiled three cups of water and added one cup of steel cut oats. I had some sliced almonds on hand so I threw in a handful of those along with half of a golden delicious apple, cut into chunks. I decided a sprinkle of cinnamon and about a tsp of brown sugar was a good idea as well. I turned the heat down to medium low and hoped for the best.

After about 10 minutes the oatmeal was looking dry so I added about a 1/2 cup of milk and turned the heat all the way down. Half hour later it was done. Very yummy, especially the apples!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...