Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Beefed Up Biscuits

Or should it be turkeyed up biscuits? This is one of my favorite comfort food meals, but I like to lighten it up a bit by using ground turkey breast and reduced fat biscuits.

Since we got about a foot and a half of snow today, it was the perfect time for this meal, which I've been making for years. I got it from the NJ Nest, 5+ years ago. I believe it was Tina who originally posted it, any NJ Nesties who want to chime in a confirm?

Beefed Up Biscuits

1 lb ground beef
(I use ground turkey breast)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
(I use a little more, about 1/2 a green pepper, chopped)
1 cup (8 oz can) tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic salt
(I use garlic powder as well as 1/2 tsp cumin)
1 can (8 oz) hungry jack biscuits or Flaky Grands (I use reduced fat)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

In a large pan brown beef, pepper, and onions. Drain. Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder and garlic salt. Simmer while preparing dough

Separate each biscuit into two pieces, lay half on the bottom of a 9x9 pan and save the other half for the top. Put 1/2 cup of the cheese into the meat mixture and spoon mixture on top of biscuits. Arrange remaining biscuits and sprinkle cheese on top

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Biscuits should be a deep golden brown.

Turkey Mixture:

Ready for the oven:

All done!

And a shot of all the snow from my front door

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...